About Me

My photo
Living, Reading,and Eating my way through this brave new world.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Carrie the Happy Hiker





Today we decided to climb up Mt. Vesuvius. To anyone who knows me, you know this may be a ridiculous concept. However, I felt like finally getting out of the house today and joined along. Not without my complaints though!!



Here I am on the beginning of the hike.

Aldo was a much happier hiker than I was


According to Wikipedia and our terrible tour guide "Mount Vesuvius is best known for its eruption in AD 79 that led to the burying and destruction of the Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum. That eruption spawned a deadly cloud of stones, ash and fumes to a height of 20.5 miles, spewing molten rock and pulverized pumice at the rate of 1.5 million tons per second, ultimately releasing a hundred thousand times the thermal energy released by the Hiroshima bombing. An estimated 16,000 people died due to hydrothermal pyroclastic flows. The only surviving eyewitness account of the event consists of two letters by Pliny the Younger to the historian Tacitus."The last major eruption was in March 1944."





View from the top of Vesuvius



  
Can you see the steam? Its coming from the volcano!!!




 I actually made it to the top, with a few complaints and whining.






 Me in front of Prochida, with Naples, Sorrento, and standing on top of Vesuvius








2 comments:

Solodallamente said...

Hey you weren't that complaining! And plus I smiled THAT much in the photo because you told me to do that ahaha

Anonymous said...

Very cool Carrie something you will never forget! <3 aml