About Me

My photo
Living, Reading,and Eating my way through this brave new world.

Monday, November 19, 2012

La Dolce Vita- Rome


The Monument at the Spanish Steps, Rome
This weekend I spent some time in Rome, the wonderful capital of Italy. It was truly nice to get out of Naples and be able to spend time in somewhere that was generally open and friendly. When people ask me "are you having a good time" its hard sometimes to answer. Im not here on vacation, I do work a 40 hour a week internship doing important ( well, sometimes important) things. Its interesting in a way that is hard to explain, but I have been exposed to a different side of American interests and politics abroad that is so vitally important to keep allies and friendships, and have support from other nations. I know everyone says the US is the most "powerful" nation in the world, but without the friendships and relationships with other countries, like the one we share with Italy, we would not be the nation we are today. So that I get to witness some of that is awesome,any way what was I saying? oh right, do I enjoy myself. All the places I have visited outside of Naples have been warm, friendly places that I have felt wanted and enjoyed. The few people I have met here are very nice, and I enjoy them. However, overall, I think I enjoy anywhere better than here. It could be the hills, the absolutely undecipherable Neapolitan dialect of Italian ( we will get to my ingenious Italian speaking later) or the cobblestones. Who knows.

The Spanish Steps, Rome

 The Trevi Fountain, Rome

 Me at the Trevi Fountain, Rome


 The Vatican Museum, Vatican City
 I spent a wonderful evening hanging out with another intern from Rome, whom I have a lot in common with. It was nice getting to spend some girl time, complain and talk about the ups and downs of keeping relationships going when you live thousands of miles away, and generally life. It was even more refreshing when, walking just past the Pantheon, which was beautiful in its own right, we stumbled upon an English pub with no other but free wifi, nachos, and happy hour! Needless to say, we enjoyed a few, kicked back with some comfort food, and enjoyed some wine, Irish coffee, and jalapeno laden nachos!

The next morning I knew I was to get up bright and early to head to the Vatican City. I wasnt able to get tickets ahead of time,and decided to make an early rise out of it and get there. I was there an hour and 15 minutes before they opened and boy was I glad. At 7:45am, I was about the 15th person in line, with several tour groups lined up behind me. I was able to get on a tour at 9am, and I was happy that I spent the money on it. The history in the Vatican Museum, not only the Sistine Chapel, was awesome. I saw gifts and works of art from before I knew art existed. With the Sistine Chapel topping off the tour ( it was beautiful and amazing and awe inspiring. Everything you could think of, including crowded) it was a great morning.

From there I headed to St. Peters Basilica. I was able to pray at the tomb of John Paul II, which was amazing. It is awesome how, even though he has passed on and there is a new Pope, he is everywhere in the Vatican. I really feel like he was 'the peoples' Pope, and understood and got how real Catholics live and think. With all that is wrong with the Catholic church, and  he was by no means perfect, I was happy and proud and cherished the fact that I was able to sit there, pray, and think about my very Catholic grandparents who have also passed on. It was just an amazing 10 minutes. I got to see many other tombs, and beautiful amazing sculptures, but that single incident is probably what I will take with me the most from that experience.

 The Vatican Museum, Vatican City


 "The Torso" at the Vatican Museum



This ceiling is completely flat, although it looks molded; at the Vatican Museum


 Either the Raphael Rooms or the Private Apartments, The Vatican Museums

 The Vatican


 St. Peters Basilica


 The guards in Vatican City


The morning took a lot out of me, but I was able to meet up with the other intern and explore her favorite neighborhood, Trastavere. It was beautiful and kitchy, and I loved it. We walked and talked, and ate some fabulous pasta. FINALLY I was able to have pesto sauce, which is my ultimate favorite pasta sauce. It is far too expensive at the store to buy here, but I savored every morsel. I always wondered why it was so expensive here, when the tomato sauce costs less than a dollar. Who knows.

In Rome, I got to show my Italian skills! Lisa, my intern friend, was impressed with my skills, as I was able to ask in full Italian where the metro was, how much was something, and no, I did not want to give someone money. I guess listening to everyone speak is rubbing off a little! It made me feel awesome though, that I was actually picking some things up. It was awesome as well when people kept asking me for directions and I could give them to them. Ah, living in a place for a few weeks does that to you! I was especially glad I could help a nice lady from San Fransisco in the giant line at the ticket machine for the metro, so she did not give her change to the beggar who "happens" to stand right between the machines and show unsuspecting tourists how to use the machine, then expects their change for her services. I warned the lovely lady not to let her touch her screen, and I helped her. Then I scolded her in Italian, let her know I lived there so dont try any crap with me, and gave her a dirty look. Listen, I am more than willing to help out those in need, but not those who take advantage of travellers trying to explore and learn a new city, and navigate the sometimes tricky machines. Just like I wouldnt give money to the unfortunate soul with the club foot chatting on his IPhone. The new one. Lets just say I have my standards, and I dont appreciate those who take advantage of other peoples kindness.


 The Coloseum
 

 Ah, the Colosseum. This was an awe inspiring ( isnt all of Rome an Awe Inspiring experience, I guess)Knowing that Ive seen the movie Gladiator, and was now standing where those actual showdowns occurred, was AMAZING!!! it was cool, how it was actually still standing! The steps were killer, as were the cobblestones on my feet, but I guess I had to let it go because it was so cool! ( just kidding) I learned about how the matches worked, how gladiators didnt usually live past 30 years old, and how they could be granted clemency.

On my way home, as I stopped for what people here at the Consulate say is the best burger in Italy, a gentleman and his daughter sitting at the train station restaurant bar shared their champagne with me. This man, who had to be in his mid fifties, sat at the table next to me and told me all about how he had been to America 14 times, that he loved New York City, how he was so sad and couldnt believe it when 9/11 happened as he had just been there a few weeks before, how he thought Americans were warm and friendly,a nd how he enjoyed a big cup of American Coffee much better than the tiny Italian coffees. He was so nice, and after having such a long weekend, I very much enjoyed chatting with this man and his very embarrassed teenage daughter. It was awesome, and I hope I can converse like that with someone in a foreign language in a foreign country someday, and embarrass my child the exact same way!


Rome was just such an experience. I guess I should also mention that I was actually there for work in the morning, where I got to meet with the Ambassador, ask him some questions, and enjoy a wine tasting. Thats just what I do. And just as my new intern bff said, when I asked her how the wine tasted, " It tastes free!" Which is my sentiments exactly in an expensive country, with no job :)

This week holds lots in store, and its hard to believe that six weeks have flown by. My favorite things so far have been the cappuccinos that the lovely lady who makes my delicious healthy lunches makes for me, the pizza I will have a hard time replacing, and the relics that I have seen. I cant imagine NOT seeing this stuff in my lifetime, and continue to count my blessings each and every day for this experience. Anyone who knows me well knows that 2012 did not start off well at all, and I couldnt have imagined it ending up on such a high note. I remember everyday that I am very blessed, and have been very fortunate.

Up next: Thanksgiving, and BERLIN!!!!!

No comments: