About Me

My photo
Living, Reading,and Eating my way through this brave new world.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Rain Rain Go Away...

I'd just like to foremost say that today I ate McDonalds. And it was delicious. It was my cheeseburger fix, and Im sure Ill pay for it later, but at that moment, I was "lovin it". Plus then some random teenage Neapolitan girls came up and demanded , literally by almost sticking their fingers in my food, my Monopoly game pieces. Im not joking.

This week Italy has been quite challenging. I wish that I could say that it has been a fantastic week, but challenging is more the word. It's almost not Italy's fault though. The weather has begun to change ( FINALLY) here in Italy and unfortunately it is hindering my good time. While I know everyone at home is preparing for a much bigger storm, the one here on the water this weekend was AMAZING. and scary at the same time. But also annoying since we wanted to go visit a beautiful beach town. Which we did, in the thunderstorm. A little (lot) of rain never hurt anyone. Glad I brought my boots!

Myself, my roomate Matt, and our Italian intern friend Fabiola at her friends restaurant in Sorrento


This week marks my one month of being in Italy. It truely has gone by in a flash, and I can only imagine that the next few weeks are going to fly by as well. Plans for the end of this week are to go to Florence, and hopefully next week Election Day ( YAY!! I already voted- you should go out and vote too) and headed to Berlin ( or Budapest, havent finalized yet) for a 3 day weekend. I want to take advantage as much as possible to be able to see everything, but Italy is so darn EXPENSIVE.

We got to spend some fantastic time ( in the rain) on Friday night with our friend Aldo. We intended to head out to an international happy hour at a wine bar, but were late, and felt like we missed it, so we ventured out to dinner with one of Aldo's friends. Dinner was fantastic, a fresh salmon encrusted in pistachios with fresh bread and wine. Yum Yum. I truly think the food has been the highlight of my time here in Italy. I have yet to eat something ( other than something I made on my own) that I havent liked. Im going to come back with pasta and pastry muffintop. We had such a great time just talking and having a language exchange , I learned some colorful language that I hope to use on some of the streetkids one day.

This weekend we made it out to Sorrento, a famous beach town technically about 45 minutes from Naples. We met one of our other fellow interns Fabiola, who lives there, to show us around. We got to see many little shops, beautiful architecture, and ate some delicious food. Unfortunately the weather did not want to cooperate, as you will see in many of the pictures. Luckily, it held off mostly until we got home, but boy did it pour. We were able to get a few shots by the water, but we dared not get any closer!!

Sunday we decided to venture out to the Capodomonte Art Museum, which is on the top of a giant hill in Naples. It has many famous pieces in it, from the Bourbons, the Farnese collections, and other impressive pieces of art. Most of it was religious inspired art, which is  not really my thing, but it was amazing to see these 13th and 14th century paintings. I guess its just a preview to what we will see in Florence next week. We had a heck of a time getting home, waiting patiently for an hour for a bus to get there.

Italy unfortunately got a big strike from me this weekend with the public transportation. It makes life so difficult to try to get places when THERE IS NO SCHEDULE!!!!  Its bad enough that everything shuts down on Sundays, but then you are stuck in the damp cold. Not a happy camper. Hence why I ate the McDonalds. Im an emotional eater, always have been, and always will be.  My only other complaint this week are the plethora of street performers on the train. Literally, trying to get my money while I am on the train, playing their accordion and tambourine, and not understanding why I am not giving them money for their performance. Dont they know Im unemployed too?

This is a busy week. Plans are set and tickets are bought for Florence, hopefully going to a winery, and spending some beautiful time in the Tuscan sun. 



Many Pictures today....enjoy!!


  Sorrento from the Hillside






 Some delicious ravioli


 A storm is brewing over Sorrento







 Some fresco's from the Farnese collection in Capodomonte Museum









 Persepe ( nativity figures) at Capodomonte Museum






No comments: